According to the world health organization, depression is a very common illness worldwide. It has affected more than 264 million people all around the world. It is much different than the normal mood swings we all have in response to daily life challenges. It can become a severe health issue with time if not treated.
Office for National Statistics (ONS) recorded about 6,507 suicides in the UK which show average 11.2% deaths per 100,000 people in 2018. Unfortunately, the suicide rate in 2018 is higher than it was in 2017. Depression is the main cause of all this. Among youngsters of 15-29 years, and suicide is the second leading death cause.
But what is this depression? What are its causes? How to treat this illness? Your questions will be answered here. I will also share some depression quotes images, and depression quotes positive so that you can get a better understanding of depression So let’s get started.
What is depression?
Depression also called major depressive disorder is a kind of mood disorder leading to a lack of interest and constant sadness in life. People feel sad sometimes when they are facing tough life challenges; it is a normal reaction. The problem begins when there is intense sadness, and a person feels hopeless, worthless, and helpless. It can last for several days, weeks, and even months and worst case scenario years It will keep you from living your life and certainly is much more than sadness. When it is not treated at the time, it will lead to a serious medical condition. The following quote on of the depression quotes short explains what depression is:
“It’s so difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there because it’s not sadness. I know sadness. Sadness is to cry and to feel. But it’s that cold absence of feeling—that really hollowed-out feeling.” —J.K. Rowling
As mentioned in DSM-5, a manual used by doctors all around the world for diagnosing mental disorders, doctors will look for the following symptoms:
- You feel depressed for most of the day, in the morning, especially.
- You do not feel energetic almost every day.
- Every day you feel guilty or worthless.
- You can’t remember the details and find difficulty in making decisions.
- You can’t focus even if you try hard.
- It is hard to sleep at night because of overthinking, or you sleep more than normal.
- You don’t find any activity pleasing or interesting; it is always like you are doing something because it is your duty and you have to do this.
- You feel restless most of the time.
- Either you have gained or lost weight.
- You are experiencing anxious and sad feelings or feel empty most of the time.
- You may have pains, cramps, and headaches or even have some digestive problem that does not go away even with treatment.
These were the most common symptoms related to depression, but that does not mean everyone will have the same symptoms, or a person will show all of these symptoms. People are different, so depression hits them differently. Symptoms can vary based on, the severity of depression too. These symptoms may also appear in the form of changing patterns. Here is one of the depression quotes images that will make you understand how it feels to be in depression:
What city has the highest rate of depression?
Dealing with depression is not easy at all, but it is necessary to seek professional help when you can’t handle it yourself. Do you live in the UK and are wondering what city has the highest rate of depression? Well, for your information Hull is considered as the most depressing city in the UK after a survey. This survey showed that about 88 people out of 1,000 adults seek professional help for their issues like anxiety, depression, and phobias in 2017.
On the one side, it is a good thing as people consider these things as illness and are open-minded to talking about them. They are willing to take help rather than ignoring them as most people are shy or don’t really like to talk about these issues. But at the same time another question arises, in addition to these people who seek help, are there any other people who really don’t talk about these issues in the city of culture?
Now you know what city has the highest rate of depression, just for your information, let me tell you that Surrey Heath has the lowest depression rate with 15 referrals per 1000 people.
What famous people suffer from depression?
Each year every one in four persons faces mental health problems like anxiety and depression in the UK. Most people do not talk about these issues and challenges; the world is changing. Celebrities now talk about their struggles with depression which is an inspiration for common people, that they can talk about their issues too and can seek help. If you are wondering, what famous people suffer from depression? Let’s have a look at some of the famous faces:
Demi Lovato is no doubt a very fantastic talent and has struggled with self-harming and eating disorders in the past. She said that it was a way for her to express shame on her own body. But in an interview in 2019 she said that she still had negative thoughts, but she had accepted herself and her therapist helped her a lot.
The actress from Frozen 2 has also talked about her depression. She said that people think of her as a glamorous lady covered with glitters, but the reality is different as she is struggling with anxiety and depression and is taking medication.
Her situation is explained well by reading one of the common depression quotes sad:
“I was so scared to give up depression, fearing that somehow the worst part of me was actually all of me.” —Elizabeth Wurtzel
In 1997 she went public about her sexual orientation and had faced intense reactions from the public. She said that people made fun of her and she had to face failure in business too and that she was completely cut off. But she struggled through this and then became one of the finest hosts of American television.
If you are wondering what famous people suffer from depression? Prince Harry is a common example for you. He has opened up about his mental health problems in the past. He said that he used to have panic attacks after the death of his precious mother, Princess Diana.
Dwayne Johnson has also told about his depression phase after he was cut off from the football team just after two months. After that, he started his wrestling career, and he said that you just need to have faith that what will come after will be better.
What are some examples of depression?
Depression makes your life difficult, but that does not mean you can’t deal with it. But before that, you must know about some basics about it so that you can deal with it in a better way. If you are wondering, What are some examples of depression? Let me share some with you so that you can have a better understanding. Here they are:
Major depressive disorder
It is a classic form of depression, or we can say unipolar depression. Just like many other mental health issues, it has little to do with things currently happening around. You may have an ideal life full of loving friends, family, and your dream job, but still, you feel depressed. People may have a single episode or feel this way for their whole life. In this condition, people may think that a person is just exaggerating or is trying to be an attention seeker, but it is not the case. This form of depression quotes twitter(as seen on twitter) will explain the better situation of a person who has to listen to stupid suggestions of people:
“Whenever someone tells me to ‘Just be happy,’ I want to yell, ‘Oh, hey, depression’s gone! Why didn’t I think of that?’ But usually, I just roll my eyes instead.” —Anonymous
Persistent depressive disorder
It is also called chronic or dysthymia depression; it may not feel very intense, but it can severely affect your relationships. It can be a long time depression, and before worsening again, it may feel like there is nothing to worry about. It can last for years, so people bearing this depression may feel like symptoms are a part of normal life.
If you are wondering what are some examples of depression? This one is very common. Bipolar disorder consists of hypomania or mania periods. Where there are alternative episodes of depression, but you feel very happy most of the time. An outdated name of Bipolar disorder is manic depression. One episode may last for weeks, and there may also be a need to hospitalize the patient. A person may show self-destructive behaviour, and serious cases a person may also have hallucinations or delusions.
People suffering from major depression may also face periods of losing touch with reality. This is called psychosis. It can also involve delusions and hallucinations. A person may feel things that are not here in reality which is a hallucination. On the other hand, delusion is having some non-sense or a false belief. People who have psychosis will feel that all things are true and real.
What are the 4 major causes of depression?
Depression makes life difficult, but if we know what is the cause, it can be a bit easier to deal with it. We still don’t know what exactly causes depression. A lot of factors are linked with depression and its development. If you are wondering, what are the 4 major causes of depression? Let’s have a look at these:
Some bad life events can lead to long term depression, for instance, long term unemployment, breakups, long term loneliness, and also work stress. Recent events do not cause depression a lot, but these can trigger the depression if you have really bad past experiences.
Genetics and family history
Depression can also be genetic. Depression in family history can be a risk factor. You may experience mood disorder or some other symptoms of depression if people around you also have depression. Stats show that depression is 40% estimated by genetics.
If you do not know, what are the 4 major causes of depression? This one is very common among these. If a person is going through some serious physical health conditions, the individual is more likely to suffer from depression. Changes in hormones can also be a cause of depression, especially in women.
Use of alcohol and drugs
Too much use of alcohol and drugs can also lead to depression, or it is an indication that a person is depressed. Some drugs that are linked with depression are as follows, beta-blockers, stimulants, anticonvulsants, benzodiazepines, statins, and corticosteroids. Let me share one of the best depression quotes sad that will explain this situation well:
“Sometimes, I just think depression’s one way of coping with the world. Like, some people get drunk, some people do drugs, some people get depressed. Because there’s so much stuff out there that you have to do something to deal with it.” —Ned Vizzini
Treatment of Depression
Living with depression is not easy at all, but treatment can help in improving your life. Make sure to consider professional help when you experience depression symptoms, and do not ignore your emotions. When you accept that you are going through depression, it becomes less difficult to deal with. A doctor can decide the right treatment strategy for you. let’s have a look at some of the treatment options:
In order to deal with depression, your doctor may prescribe you some antianxiety or antidepressants. These may have some potential risks too. Do not take medication on your own, but only if a doctor recommends you.
Seeking help from a therapist is the best thing you can do to deal with your depression. They will help you in dealing with your negative thoughts.
Going to a therapist and taking prescribed medication is a must, but these only prove helpful if you want to change your condition. Lifestyle changes can help you a lot. Try to adopt healthy habits to cope up with depression, for instance, regular exercise, avoid alcohol and take proper diet and analyse your environment and triggers.
Some very Famous Quotes
I know you are wondering how to deal with depression. How can we stay positive during this tough time? But examples from real life can help you a lot in getting positive vibes. And what is better than reading quotes by people who have experienced this illness and tried to get over it. So I am going to share some depression quotes positive here that will help you through your journey, and you will be inspired to read how they explain this situation and how they dealt with it. Here are some of the depression quotes short:
“The only thing more exhausting than being depressed is pretending that you’re not.” —Anonymous
“Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.” —Chuck Palahniuk
“That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key.” —Elizabeth Wurtzel,
“If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” —Stephen Fry
“It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch.” —Matt Haig
Depression quotes positive
We all need positivity in our lives, so here are some of the depression quotes positive:
“This is my depressed stance. When you’re depressed, it makes a lot of difference in how you stand. The worst thing you can do is straighten up and hold your head high because then you’ll start to feel better. If you’re going to get any joy out of being depressed, you’ve got to stand like this.” —Charles M. Schulz
“There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” —John Green
“Sometimes, life will kick you around, but sooner or later, you realize you’re not just a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.”—Brooke Davis
“Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning, and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside – remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.” —Charles Bukowski from “Gamblers All”
“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” —Helen Keller
Depression quotes twitter
I have read a lot of depression quotes on twitter, and they truly inspired me. Because of these quotes, I was able to go through my tough times. So let me share some depression quotes twitter with you, here they are:
“To those struggling with anxiety, OCD, depression: I know it’s mad annoying when people tell you to exercise, and it took me about 16 medicated years to listen. I’m glad I did. It ain’t about the ass; it’s about the brain.” —Lena Dunham
“Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.” —Richard L. Evans
“Give yourself another day, another chance. You will find your courage eventually. Don’t give up on yourself just yet.”–Someone
“You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.”—David Mitchell
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time, we fall.” —Confucius
Depression quotes Twitter extra.
Depression quotes twitter can help you understand what it actually is and how you can help yourself and people who have been in depression. According to the world health organization, depression is a very common illness worldwide. It has affected more than 264 million people all around the world. It is much different than the normal mood swings we all have in response to daily life challenges. It can become a really severe health issue with time if not treated. Depression quotes twitter can help with this.
Thoughtful depression quotes twitter.
I have read a lot of depression quotes twitter, and they truly inspired me. Because of these quotes, I was able to go through my tough times. So let me share some depression quotes twitter with you, here they are:
- “It’s so difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there because it’s not sadness. I know sadness. Sadness is to cry and to feel. But it’s that cold absence of feeling — that really hollowed-out feeling.”— J.K. Rowling.
- “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”― Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral’s Kiss.
- “If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.”― Stephen Fry.
- “I didn’t want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.”― Sylvia Plath.
- “I didn’t want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that’s really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you’re so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare.”― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story.
- “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also harder to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.”― C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain.
- “That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end.― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
Insightful depression quotes twitter.
Depression quotes twitter can give you deep insight into depression. So here are some that I find help dealing with my own depression:
- “Getting better from depression demands a lifelong commitment. I’ve made that commitment for my life’s sake and for the sake of those who love me.” — Susan Polis Schutz, poet.
- “Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”― Stephen Fry.
- “Listen to the people who love you. Believe that they are worth living for even when you don’t believe it. Seek out the memories depression takes away and project them into the future. Be brave; be strong; take your pills. Exercise because it’s good for you even if every step weighs a thousand pounds. Eat when food itself disgusts you. Reason with yourself when you have lost your reason.”― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression
- “You say you’re ‘depressed’ — all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective — it just means you’re human.”― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas.
- “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.” – Matt Lucas.
- “At times, I feel overwhelmed, and my depression leads me into darkness.” – Dorothy Hamill.
- “Depression taught me the importance of compassion and hard work, and that you can overcome enormous obstacles.” – Rob Delaney.
- “I have had issues with depression all my life, and it’s probably true to say there was a tendency towards it even when I was very young, during my schooldays. There was often –,, and this is quite common with comics – a sense of not feeling as if I belonged anywhere.”– Jack Dee.
- “That’s how depression hits. You wake up one morning, afraid that you’re gonna live.”– Elizabeth Wurtzel.
Inspirational depression quotes twitter.
The following depression quotes twitter, I found most inspirational:
- “You largely constructed your depression. It wasn’t given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it.” – Albert Ellis.
- “Depression is living in a body that fights to survive, with a mind that tries to die.”– Danny Baker, Depression is a Liar.
- “Perhaps depression is caused by asking oneself too many unanswerable questions.”– Miriam Toews.
- “The only thing more exhausting than being depressed is pretending that you’re not.”– Unknown.
- “I was so scared to give up depression, fearing that somehow the worst part of me was actually all of me.”– Elizabeth Wurtzel.
- “I used to be good friends with my depression, saying oh I’m so depressed, or life is terrible.”– Tony Curtis.
- “If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.”– Stephen Fry.
- “A depressing and difficult passage has prefaced every page I have turned in life.”– Charlotte Brontë.
- “Depression is, in part, grief for your own life not turning out how it should; grief for your own needs not being met.”– Johann Hari.
- “Depression lies. It tells you you’ve always felt this way, and you always will. But you haven’t, and you won’t. “– Halley Cornell.
- “Many depressed people can only see their pains and their hurts, and their resentments, and their failures. They can’t see the blue sky and the yellow leaves, you know?”– Bill Richards
- “Every thought a person dwells upon, whether he expresses it or not, either damages or improves his life.”– Lucy Mallory
- “It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch.”– Matt Haig.
Depression quotes twitter statistics
Office for National Statistics (ONS) recorded about 6,507 suicides in the UK which show average 11.2% deaths per 100,000 people in 2018. Unfortunately, the suicide rate in 2018 is higher than it was in 2017. Depression is the main cause of all this. Among youngsters of 15-29 years old suicide is the second leading death cause. So you need to help those who are upset or dealing with depression. In this article, I have tried my best to share some of the most inspiring depression quotes twitter. Hope you will find this depression quotes twitter helpful and if you are suffering from depression I hope you recognize you are not alone.
Depression can make your life hell; it will affect your daily life and take your loved ones away from you. It will also have bad effects on your romantic relationships. So do not take it lightly. Some people may ignore it because they think it is not that big a deal or feel uncomfortable facing this issue. But you need to keep in mind that it is a big deal. We all feel depressed at some point in life but make sure that you handle it properly at the right time. For this purpose, you need to educate yourself about depression and how it can affect your personal and social life. When you feel any of the depression symptoms, or going through a tough time in your life, make sure to seek professional help. We hope these suggestions will prove helpful for you in the future. Please call 03333443853 and have a free consultation today we offer 24 hr support.