Gaslighting is a kind of psychological manipulation that makes you question your perception of reality. People use this to assert dominance and to feel power over other person. Gaslighting in personal relationships is like emotional abuse and can wreak havoc on the victim.
This article is all about Gaslighting quotes. I will share some of the most relatable and helpful Gaslighting quotes so let’s get started:
Gaslighting quotes Images
You can share the following Gaslighting quotes Images on your social media accounts:
You will love these Gaslighting quotes Images:
Gaslighting quotes Tumblr
Tumblr is an amazing platform where you can share your feelings. Here are some of the best Gaslighting quotes Tumblr:
You will find these Gaslighting quotes Tumblr most relatable:
Narcissist Gaslighting quotes
Narcissists most commonly use Gaslighting phrases. Here are some Narcissist Gaslighting quotes and phrases that a narcissist may use:
- ‘Stop being so insecure.’
- ‘You are just being paranoid.’
- ‘You are way too emotional.’
- ‘Please stop being so dramatic.’
- ‘You are just making this up.’
- ‘Stop imagining things!’
- ‘That never happened.’
- ‘You are just overthinking it.’
- ‘Stop exaggerating the situation!’
- ‘Stop taking it so seriously.’
- ‘Can you not take a joke?’
- ‘You are just misconstruing my intentions’
- ‘You are being unnecessarily jealous.’
- ‘The problem isn’t with me, it is in you.’
- ‘You just have zero emotional security.’
- ‘That was never my intention, stop blaming me.’
- ‘I think you need help.’
- ‘Just forget about it now.’
- ‘You are remembering it wrong.’
- ‘Cmon, stop making such a huge deal of things’
You will find the following Narcissist Gaslighting quotes most relatable:
- “A gaslighter’s actions may not cause harm initially. Over time, however, this continued abusive behaviour can make the victim feel confused, anxious, isolated and depressed.”
- “Gaslighting are lies with a purpose to confuse and control.” ― Tracy Malone.
- “invalidation is crazy-making, and it is also at the root of gaslighting, where victims’ feelings are purposely denied or manipulated in order to make them question their sanity.”― Samantha Rodman, How to Talk to Your Kids about Your Divorce: Healthy, Effective Communication Techniques for Your Changing Family.
- “One can only return to the fact that even the most ordinary, good-hearted, intelligent people are literally prone to believing the most blatantly nonsensical untruths. And this comes from the realization that there are some opinions and some beliefs so incredibly inane, we may actually on occasion feel insane for not believing them; and that is probably because in giving the benefit of the doubt we self-doubt, we convince ourselves into lame passivity and blind acceptance, we tell ourselves, ‘Maybe I’m just missing something here.” ― Criss Jami, Healology
- “Gaslighting is mind control to make victims doubt their reality.” ― Tracy Malone.
- “Gaslighting is confusing because they switch to intermittent concern.” ― Tracy Malone.
- “This term is used in the 1944 Ingrid Bergman film Gaslight, in which a husband purposefully drives his wife insane by flickering lights, making noises in the attic, and then claiming the very real experience was all in her head.” ― Samantha Rodman, How to Talk to Your Kids about Your Divorce: Healthy, Effective Communication Techniques for Your Changing Family.
- “Driving someone to insanity is the devil’s work.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri, Vocation of a Gadfly.
- “Gaslighting is a slow unconscious loss of reality.” ― Tracy Malone
- “Andrew was right. We probably wouldn’t have any problems if I didn’t go out of my way to create them.” ― Alicia Thompson, Psych Major Syndrome
Gaslighting parents quotes
- “While disagreements and interpersonal conflicts are common in even the healthiest of family systems, family scapegoating goes far beyond this, making recovering from its impact and effects difficult. For example, more than half of those who responded to an FSA survey I conducted have been described as “mentally ill”; “emotionally sick,” or “a liar” by a parent or other relative when there was absolutely no truth to this whatsoever. Naturally, being spoken about in this way can be confusing, angering, and even traumatizing to the target of such hostile and defamatory statements.” ― Rebecca C. Mandeville, Rejected, Shamed, and Blamed: Help and Hope for Adults in the Family Scapegoat Role.
- “If I say, “I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,” I’m likely to be discredited as a witness to my own condition. I’ve had doctors tell me there’s no such thing as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. One doctor said: “Just drink some coffee.” ― Toni Bernhard
- “I felt like what he said was a thin cloth he held over what he meant, letting me see its shadow or its shape protruding. If I pushed at the veil, the mystery under the surface would poke out.” ― Lucie Elven, The Weak Spot
- “so often, victims end up unnecessarily prolonging their abuse because they buy into the notion that their abuser must be coming from a wounded place and that only patient love and tolerance (and lots of misguided therapy) will help them heal.”― George K. Simon
- “Everyone loses their class when they travel through hell, but only a few will regain it if they remain humble and accept the part they played in their own misery.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- tags: abuse-of-others, arrogant-women, be-an-example, be-better, be-consistent, be-honest, be-real, be-true, being-in denial, blamers, blaming, class, classless, control-freaks, cruelty-to-others, delusional, denial, fake-spiritualism, finding-class, gaslighting, get-self-respect, god-s-daughter, growing-up, hatred-of-others, hypocrites, illegal, injust, insecurity-issues, jealous, jealous-women, lack-of-sympathy, lady, ladyless, let-go-of-hatred, live-your-religion, maturity, owning-up, remain-humble, responsibility, rise-up, sadistic, self-awareness, self-introspection, self-righteousness, shifting-blame, stupidity, superiority-complex, teach-your-daughters, two-faced, wrong-paths33 likesLike
- “It is not okay for someone you like to treat you poorly and then pretend it didn’t happen, making you question your own grasp on reality. This dynamic is called gaslighting. It’s a common tactic of abusers to shift the focus of the blame from their bad behavior onto the person they are victimizing. One important side effect of gaslighting is having your memory “blackout” after a fight (because your brain is trying to protect you from the cruelty of the abuse), which results in not being able to remember how an argument started. You may start to internalize the idea that there is something wrong with you and that you did something to provoke the situation as you’re increasingly beaten down and confused.” ― Shannon weber.
- “One of the first steps in freeing yourself from a gaslighting relationship, then, is to acknowledge how unpleasant and hurtful you find this Emotional Apocalypse. If you hate being yelled at, you have the right to insist that yelling not be a part of your disagreements. Maybe some other woman wouldn’t mind the loud voice, but you do. If that makes you sensitive, so be it. You have the right to set limits where you want them, not where some mythical other, “less sensitive” woman wants them.” ― Robin Stern.
- “Quitters always believe the lies they tell themselves because delusion is easier to live with than the reality that they settled for an easier path.” ― Shannon L. Alder.
- “You love someone. You don’t leave her to drown. And you don’t tell her she’s crazier than she already knows that she is!” ― Caitlín R. Kiernan, The Drowning Girl.
Gaslighting mothers quotes
Here are some relatable Gaslighting mothers quotes:
- One of the first steps in freeing yourself from a gaslighting relationship, then, is to acknowledge how unpleasant and hurtful you find this Emotional Apocalypse. If you hate being yelled at, you have the right to insist that yelling not be a part of your disagreements. Maybe some other woman wouldn’t mind the loud voice, but you do. If that makes you sensitive, so be it. You have the right to set limits where you want them, not where some mythical other, “less sensitive” woman wants them. — Robin Stern
- When we remove ego, we’re left with what is real. What replaces ego is humility, yes – but rock-hard humility and confidence. Whereas ego is artificial, this type of confidence can hold weight. Ego is stolen. Confidence is earned. The ego is self-anointed; its swagger is artifice. One is girding yourself, the other gaslighting. It’s the difference between potent and poisonous. — Ryan Holiday
- Andrew was right. We probably wouldn’t have any problems if I didn’t go out of my way to create them. — Alicia Thompson
- so often, victims end up unnecessarily prolonging their abuse because they buy into the notion that their abuser must be coming from a wounded place and that only patient love and tolerance (and lots of misguided therapy) will help them heal. — George K. Simon
Some other Gaslighting mothers quotes are as follows:
- Paradoxically .. the very feminist movement that gave women more options also helped create pressure on many of us to be strong, successful, and independent – the kind of women who would theoretically be immune to any form of abuse from men. As a result, women who are in gaslighting and other types of abusive relationships may feel doubly ashamed: first, for being in a bad relationship, and second, for not living up to their self-imposed standards of strength and independence. — Robin Stern
- Quitters always believe the lies they tell themselves because delusion is easier to live with than the reality that they settled for an easier path. — Shannon L. Alder
- Narcissists are consumed with maintaining a shallow false self to others. They’re emotionally crippled souls that are addicted to attention. Because of this, they use a multitude of games in order to receive adoration. Sadly, they are the most ungodly of God’s creations because they don’t show remorse for their actions, take steps to make amends, or have empathy for others. They are morally bankrupt. — Shannon L. Alder
- “This story [“The Depressed Person”] was the most painful thing I ever wrote. It’s about narcissism, which is a part of depression. The character has traits of myself. I really lost friends while writing on that story, I became ugly and unhappy and just yelled at people. The cruel thing with depression is that it’s such a self-centered illness – Dostoevsky shows that pretty good in his “Notes from Underground.” The depression is painful, you’re sapped/consumed by yourself; the worse the depression, the more you just think about yourself and the stranger and repellent you appear to others.” ― David Foster Wallace.
- “When I look at narcissism through the vulnerability lens, I see the shame-based fear of being ordinary. I see the fear of never feeling extraordinary enough to be noticed, to be lovable, to belong, or to cultivate a sense of purpose.” ― Brené Brown, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead.
Gaslighting survivor quotes
Gaslighting behavior can make you feel really bad and lose hope, But that is not the right thing to do. Here are some Gaslighting survivor quotes for you
- “Playing the victim role: Manipulator portrays him- or herself as a victim of circumstance or of someone else’s behavior in order to gain pity, sympathy or evoke compassion and thereby get something from another. Caring and conscientious people cannot stand to see anyone suffering and the manipulator often finds it easy to play on sympathy to get cooperation.” ― George K. Simon Jr., In Sheep’s Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People.
- “Lies don’t end relationships the truth does.” ― Shannon L. Alder.
- “Narcissists are consumed with maintaining a shallow false self to others. They’re emotionally crippled souls that are addicted to attention. Because of this they use a multitude of games, in order to receive adoration. Sadly, they are the most ungodly of God’s creations because they don’t show remorse for their actions, take steps to make amends or have empathy for others. They are morally bankrupt.”
- “Let us not get scooped up by gaslighting manipulators stealing our emotions and taking possession of our inner child to carry out their dark agenda. Let the light of our intuition guide us subtly and wisely along the path of trust and suspicion. (“Juicy rumors”)” ― Erik Pevernagie
- “Some people will label you as vindictive, unforgiving or even evil for not allowing them to hurt you, yet again.” ― Wayne Gerard Trotman.
- “If you alter your behaviour because you are frightened of how your partner will react, you are being abused.” ― Sandra Horley.
- “Remember, a fact is a fact, no matter how hard the liars amongst you might try hushing it up.” ― Billy Childish, My Fault.
- “Gaslighting is an attempt to change the truth.” ― Tracy Malone
- “Gaslighting is implanted narratives cloaked in secrecy.” ― Tracy Malone
For those who are dealing with gaslighters, the following Gaslighting survivor quotes will help you:
- “Emotional abuse is designed to undermine another’s sense of self.
- It is deliberate humiliation, with the intent to seize control of how others feel about themselves.” ― Lorraine Nilon, Breaking Free From the Chains of Silence: A respectful exploration into the ramifications of Paedophilic abuse.
- “Gaslighting is when you don’t remember things the same as they do.” ― Tracy Malone.
- “Gaslighting is a distorted alternate reality.” ― Tracy Malone.
- “Gaslighting can be subtle and unintentional, but as feminist writer Nora Samaran explains, it is particularly insidious because it undermines people’s trust in their own capacities: “If you think of the power, the strength, the capacity to effect change that women who trust themselves are capable of, what we are losing when we doubt ourselves is an indomitable force for social change that is significant and therefore, to some, frightening. In other words, our capacity to know ourselves is immensely powerful.” All forms of oppression seem to have this tendency: racism, heteropatriarchy, ableism, ageism, colonization, and other systems of oppression contort people’s insights, experiences, and differences into weaknesses or deny them outright. For this reason, the emergence of trust can be a powerful weapon, which is being recovered all the time through struggle.” ― Carla Bergman, Joyful Militancy: Building Thriving Resistance in Toxic Times.
- “Remember, someone that does something bad to you, will always try to control the narrative, and they generally get out there first and spin the story to anyone who will listen. I always like to watch the quiet one. You are not alone.” ― Maranda pleasant, Origin: Music, Art, Yoga Consciousness.
- “Sometimes you have to choose between being lonely and being crazy.” ― Anonymous.
- “People who harm you will blame you for it. Remember, an abuser will generally always play the victim, spin a story, tell everyone and they generally call you crazy.” ― Maranda Pleasant, Origin: Music, Art, Yoga Consciousness.
- “The main condition for the achievement of love is the overcoming of one’s narcissism. The narcissistic orientation is one in which one experiences as real only that which exists within oneself, while the phenomena in the outside world have no reality in themselves, but are experienced only from the viewpoint of their being useful or dangerous to one. The opposite pole to narcissism is objectivity; it is the faculty to see other people and things as they are, objectively, and to be able to separate this objective picture from a picture which is formed by one’s desires and fears.” ― Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving.
- “The faculty to think objectively is reason; the emotional attitude behind reason is that of humility. To be objective, to use one’s reason, is possible only if one has achieved an attitude of humility, if one has emerged from the dreams of omniscience and omnipotence which one has as a child. Love, being dependent on the relative absence of narcissism, requires the developement of humility, objectivity and reason. I must try to see the difference between my picture of a person and his behavior, as it is narcissistically distorted, and the person’s reality as it exists regardless of my interests, needs and fears.” ― Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving.
Gaslighting at work quotes
- “Emotional abuse can leave a victim feeling like a shell of a person, separated from the true essence of who they naturally are. It also leads to a victim feeling tormented and tortured by their own emotions.” ― Lorraine Nilon, Breaking Free From the Chains of Silence: A respectful exploration into the ramifications of Paedophilic abuse.
- “The secret to healing is when you learn that had the power all along. The brainwashing fades and the fears retreat as you rebuild and create the happiest you. Be strong and fight for the future of drinking lemonade in peace.” ― Tracy A. Malone.
- “All you had to do was line up events as though they had happened in linear fashion and let the crowds draw what they thought was their own conclusion.” ― Cassondra Windwalker, Bury The Lead.
- “Conspiracy theories of the feeble or gaslighting of the twisted.” ― Et Imperatrix Noctem
- “I have just this one heart okay I was burned I was gaslit nearly to ash on the first try From the start I was told I was a powerful speaker I was told when & how I should speak It’s true I made a feast of my own misery I invited everyone the whole gang” ― Emily Skaja, Brute: Poems.
- “Changed behavior is the only apology, otherwise, it’s just manipulation.” ― Maranda Pleasant, Origin: Music, Art, Yoga Consciousness.
- “Certain relationships can just wear you down. So you mirror or reflect back- kind of like a pet, reflecting back what its master wants. This can seem easier in the moment: Whatever it takes to back this person’s vibe down. The master does not have to be male. Sometimes he is, but not always. Whoever the master is, they know this, that people can be trained. Either with praise, shame, the fear of failure, or the fear of being gaslighted, the technique is a relationship of rewards and punishments. There is no unconditional love here. No, this kind of relationship is all about the master’s conditions. Not joint respectful mutual conditions, but their conditions.” ― Tori Amos, Resistance: A Songwriter’s Story of Hope, Change, and Courage
- “It took me years, to make sense of my childhood.” ― Efrat Cybulkiewicz,
- “You all are in a hopeless bind here. Standards are inescapable. Imposed standards are inescapable. You want to pretend that this is not the case, all the while vigorously telling us how you would impose them. The funniest thing about this is that you cannot see (or will not admit) what you are doing. We (conservative Christians) have a standard, we know the basis for it, and we are willing to live by it and defend it. You [progressives] have a standard, you are willing to impose it on the rest of us, but when called upon to defend or explain your standard (and why it is authoritative over all of us), you surround yourselves with a cloud of clichés. But no society can exist unless the adherents of the worldview in power are willing to act via the law as though the adherents of various minority views are just flat wrong. Just admit that this is what you are currently doing to us. The rest of your day will be sunny and filled with epistemic relief.” ― Douglas Wilson, Apologetics in the Void: Hometown Hurly-Burly.
- “If you didn’t exist, I wouldn’t exist. Everything I’ve done is because of you!” ― D.J. MacHale, The Quillan Games.
- “Lies require noise and misdirection to blend in, silence is the best way to draw the truth to the surface.” ― Anna Pitoniak, Necessary People.
So this was all about Gaslighting quotes. I hope so you will find these helpful.