Enduring love meaning
What happens in enduring love?
The biggest happiness study was conducted by scientists by tracking hundreds of men for decades to find the secret of lifelong flourishing, and what they concluded was: “Happiness is love. Full stop.”
But the point is a lifelong partnership does not only make you happier but also affects your work in a good way. But there is nothing like a perfect relationship. You have to work on it. You choose to be with your partner even in bad times; you choose to love your partner when you think that you should not; you have to work on your relationship even if you think that nothing good will come out of this relationship. This is what we call enduring love. But that does not mean you have to be in an abusive or toxic relationship that is totally different.
This article is all about enduring love meaning. You will be able to learn about how you can have enduring love in your life. So let’s get started:
Enduring love meaning
If you are wondering what is enduring love meaning let me explain it to you, “Enduring love is a the kind of love that will last long.”
How do I have enduring love?
We all dream of falling in love with someone, meeting our soul mate and having our happily ever after. Once you have found the “special person” you truly love, you want to hold onto him for all it is worth. But if you have not been in a long term relationship before, it might be difficult for you to make this enduring love last. It is very important for you to know about the challenges you are going to face in order to make your enduring love last.
When you fall in love for the very first time, you feel very emotional as there is a rush of feelings. The love you feel for your partner is really intense. But this passion will not last long. These feelings start to subside with the first few years of your relationship. The love can endure, but it will need some work.
We all need to understand that a strong and long-lasting relationship will need work. A lot of researches have shown that mindfulness in a relationship can make a relationship work. If you know about all the aspect of your relationship and your partner, the chances are high that your relationship will last for years.
You want to know, “How do I have enduring love?”, well the key thing is you should never give up on your partner. But what are some key factors that can help you in keeping enduring love? What is the foundation of enduring love? Here I am going to explain some ingredients of a long-lasting romantic relationship with the person you love most in this whole world. So let’s get started:
One of the major components of enduring love is that partners should be compatible. You obviously have heard that opposites attract, which is true but only when you are talking about magnets in science class. It may be true in relationships sometimes, and that is why this phrase became popular.
However, you must know that opposites do attract, but they don’t stay together long enough. The attraction between opposites happens because they find the whole drama and discord between them really interesting. Most of these types of relationships cannot sustain, and outcomes are unhealthy for both sides if they try to make it work.
So the fact is successful relationships are built on compatibility among two partners. But that does not mean two partners should be alike in everything and agree on everything. People can have differences, and these differences should be complementary, not affecting the big life decisions. For instance, it is ideal to have compatibility in major future plans and ideologies.
Compatibility is necessary, but it would not be helpful if there is no communication. Communication includes all kind of forms like daily conversations, trying to know more about each other and having healthy disagreements too. In addition, to communicate regularly, both partners should feel safe saying what they feel, need and want to say. Moreover, partners should be open to hearing what is said and be open to showing their partner cognitive empathy.
When you are a listener
Sometimes it is necessary for couples to work on their communication skills diligently. One of the most important skills is active listening which means hearing what your partner says. Listening does not mean focusing on what you want to say after that but listening for listening. You should not think about what you have to say; it involves paraphrasing or reflecting what you heard and asking questions about the things you do not get.
When you are a talker
When you are the talker, not the listener, you have to keep a check on your emotions so that you might not say things that can hurt your partner and you will regret later. While talking, at times, you might have to pause, think about what you are saying and then have to express yourself in a way that is not hurtful for your partner. This proves helpful in preventing unproductive and excessive arguments.
Working through a disagreement
Sometimes communication is necessary to work through a disagreement too. If partners never argue or disagree, it means that they are trying to avoid difficult conversations. Sometimes it becomes necessary to confront difficult matters so that a healthy relationship can flourish and can last longer. If you have to face disagreements, make sure to use good communication skills in a productive manner.
One thing that you should keep in mind is that communication does not just occur through words. There are other things too that can prove helpful in receiving or giving love to each other. Figure out how you show your love to your partner and how they communicate their love. If you two use different ways, chances are you miss their signals. However, if you talk about it, you will be able to figure this out together.
One of the most important things to enjoy in enduring love is honesty. You have heard an old phrase saying, “honesty is best policy”, that is applied to healthy relationship too. You might want to mislead your partner about who you are and how your future looks like at the beginning of a relationship just for the sake of a good impression. But you need to understand that lying and dishonesty will not lead to enduring love.
Enduring love meaning is to work through thick and thin to enjoy a long-lasting relationship, and that is impossible without honesty. You have to be honest about your past, present and future. Lying will undermine your relationship. It will erode an already poor foundation of your relationship. But that does not mean you have to be brutally honest; you might have to tell be diplomatic with how you explain things so that your partner might not get hurt. You should figure out whether what you are saying is necessary and not selfish.
Being in a healthy relationship for a long time will also require understanding from both sides. You will not be on the same page with your partner always. They will do things that may seem strange to you. Keep in mind that you had been living your own lives with your own families in different environments before you two met each other. You two have learned things in a different way.
When one partner approaches something different as compared to others, it is very tempting to be judgmental. But instead of being judgmental, you should seek understanding. As questions about why they are doing things in a certain way, this way you can learn more about your partner. It will also help in strengthening your relationship, and you can enjoy enduring love.
How do I have enduring love? Well, one thing that might come in handy is compromising nature. You might have heard:
“You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need.”
Sometimes it is true in relationships when it comes to compromising. The fact is if two people are very compatible still they will have different views at some point or will want different things. In these situations, in old times, “compromise” is the only solution.
I must say compromise is not that easy or simple, like one time you get your way and other time your partner does. It is also not about meeting in the middle as sometimes it is difficult to find out the middle-ground solution. Real compromise is having a productive conversation about different things and look for the best possible solution in a specific situation. Sometimes one person may have to give more than other, and sometimes the other person will. You have to focus on finding the best solution every time you face a similar situation so that you do not have to keep score.
It may be a virtue, and it is significant if you want to have enduring love. Just like you have to avoid judgment and practice understanding, you also have to be patient with your partner. We all are different, so your partner may approach life differently or want to move through life at his or her own pace and may communicate differently. Do not push them to do things your way; it will harm your relationship. Be patient and supportive.
Enduring love Books
Enduring Love by Ian McEwan is one of the most popular books based on a tragic love story. Here are some of the best quotes from the book. Hope you will like it.
- “When it’s gone, you’ll know what a gift love was. You’ll suffer like this. So go back and fight to keep it.”
- “Who you get, and how it works out- there’s so much luck involved, as well as the million branching consequences of your conscious choice of a mate, that no one and no amount of talking can untangle it if it turns out unhappily.”
- “I’m holding back, delaying the information. I’m lingering in the prior moment because it was a time when other outcomes were still possible.”
- “Twenty years ago I might have hired a professional listener, but somewhere along the way I had lost faith in the talking cure. A genteel fraud in my view. ”
- “Perhaps I’d been a slow developer, but I was well into my forties before I realized that you don’t have to comply with a request just because it’s reasonable or reasonably put. Age is the great dis-obliger. You can be yourself and say no.”
- “Self-consciousness is the destroyer of erotic joy.”
- “It’s beautiful here and we’re still unhappy.”
- “The narrative compression of storytelling, especially in the movies, beguiles us with happy endings into forgetting that sustained stress is corrosive of feeling. It’s the great deadener. Those moments of joyful release from terror are not so easily had.”
- “No emergency was ever dealt with effectively by democratic process.”
- “I watched our friends’ wary, intelligent faces droop at our tale. Their shock was a mere shadow of our own, resembling more the goodwilled imitation of that emotion, and for this reason it was a temptation to exaggerate, to throw a rope of superlatives across the abyss that divided experience from its representation by anecdote.”
- “It marked the beginning and, of course, an end. At that moment a chapter, no, a whole stage of my closed. Had I known, and had there been a spare second or two, I might have allowed myself a little nostalgia.”
- “Observing human variety can give pleasure, but so too can human sameness.”
- “What idiocy, to racing into this story and its labyrinths, sprinting away from our happiness among the fresh spring grasses by the oak.”
- “… her conviction that love that did not find its expression in a letter was not perfect.”
- “As we walked back to the car, Johnny said, “A tree’s one thing, but it’s a big deal when you point a gun at someone. Basically, you’re giving them permission to kill you.”
- “Don’t leave me here with my mind, I thought.”
- “God’s love may take the form of wrath. It can show itself to us as a calamity. This is the difficult lesson its taken me a lifetime to learn.”
- “Selfishness is also written on our hearts. This is our mammalian conflict – what to give to others, and what to keep for yourself.”
- “Say it again slowly, that thing about the river.”
Enduring love in the great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby is an amazing novel by an American writer F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1925. The novel revolves around Jay Gatsby, who was obsessed with his former love Daisy Buchanan. Gatsby and Daisy could not be together as she chose another person named Tom. After years when he became a millionaire, he planned everything to meet her, which led to an affair between them, but she again chose Tom over him. Tom knew that she would never leave him, so he scornfully tells Gatsby to leave her home. On the way home, an accident happens, and Daisy dies at the spot. She was driving the car, but Gatsby took responsibility for it. Another character from the novel kills him when he finds out that he owned the car. For me enduring love in the great Gatsby was dreamy, but Jay Gatsby was too obsessed with a person who may do not deserve his love.
Enduring love quotes
You can have enduring love if you are willing to work with your partner and relationship in every circumstance, good or bad. Here are some Enduring love quotes for you to make you understand how tough it can be and how worthy it is:
- “It is never easy to endure pain or uncomfortable situation. It is seems easy to quit to avoid the pain. If you quit you will suffer later. It is far better to endure the pain now and enjoy later. Life is all about endurance.” ― LailahGifty Akita.
- “Love ENDURES and works out ways of enduring the other stuff.” ― Jay Woodman.
- “I loved the way I could feel him deep in my soul.” ― Jacqueline Simon Gunn, Chasing Kat.
- “When you have endure the worse situations, you build the courage and confidence to cope with any other situations.” ― LailahGifty Akita.
- “They say love is eternal…They say love is enduring. It always protects, always trust, always shopes, always perseveres. Love never fails…It is one of my favorite passages in the bible…There is a quality about that kind of love that transcends our mortal understanding.” ― KalebKilton, Bella’s Dilemma.
- “He’ll never be able to hide his feelings for you when he sees you. That’s the thing with enduring love. It can stay buried, you can deny it, but once you are near that person, those feelings pull you together like a magnetic bond.” ― Jacqueline Simon Gunn, Before the Footprints Fade.
- “I hate the world sometimes,” Anthea said. “The unfairness of it. I won’t force you to see me if you don’t want to – but nobody can stop me loving you, and I’ll wait for you all my life if I have to.” ― Kate Saunders, Five Children on the Western Front.
- “Burdens are weightless, worlds change, and love endures when both people are contributing their maximum.” ― Penny Reid, Happily Ever Ninja.
- “When other people parted, We clung to each other fast, We knew our love was special, We struggled to make it last” ― Margaret H. Oliver, A Woman’s Place: The Complete Poetry Collection of Margaret Oliver.
- “You must leave me now, But I feel good in my heart, We stayed together and in love, Only death caused us to part” ― Margaret H. Oliver, A Woman’s Place: The Complete Poetry Collection of Margaret Oliver.
- “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” —Maya Angelou.
- “If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.” —Emma, Jane Austen.
- “Even after all this time? Always.” —J.K. Rowling
- “The course of true love never did run smooth.” A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Shakespeare
- “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” —Emily Bronte
- “Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you
- “Find what you love and let it kill you.” —Charles Bukowski
- “We are all a little weird, and life’s a little weird, so when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness; and then we call it love.” —Dr. Seuss
- “cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew I had begun.” —Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
- “And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course. —The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran
The following Enduring love quotes are most relatable:
- “Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, but bears it out even to the edge of doom.” —Shakespeare
- “When love beckons to you follow him, Though his ways are hard and steep. And when his wings enfold you yield to him, Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you. And when he speaks to you believe in him, Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden. For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning. Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun, So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.” —The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran
- “I believe love is always eternal. Even if eternity is only five minutes.” —Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories, Sandra Cisneros.
- “You remind me of a poem I can’t remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I’m not sure I’ve ever been to.” —Grandpa Simpson, The Simpsons.
- “What is love but a prelude to sorrow…with heartache ahead for your goal.” —”Blue Prelude,” Nina Simone
- “Please know whether it’s the days you burn more brilliant than the sun or the nights you collapse into my lap your body broken into a thousand questions, you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I will love you when you are a still day. I will love you when you are a hurricane.” —Mouthful of Forever’s, Clementine von Radics.
- “I no longer believed in the idea of soul mates, or love at first sight. But I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together.” ― Blue-Eyed Devil, Lisa Kleypas
- “The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise, we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.” — No Man Is an Island, Thomas Merton.
- “I don’t ask you to love me always like this, but I ask you to remember. Somewhere inside of me there will always be the person I am tonight.” — Tender Is the Night, F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- “I am all the time thinking about poetry and fiction and you.” —Virginia Woolf.
Enduring love meaning is a kind of love that can last long. In the modern world, love has become a myth, break up rates are higher. In these circumstances, how can someone enjoy enduring love? It requires willingness and strength to put efforts to make everything work, even in hard times. Do not confuse it with being in an abusive or toxic relationship. If both partners choose to stick to the relationship, choose to love each other even when the times are not favourable, they can enjoy enduring love.