What is a serious relationship?
In order to be sure if you are at a place in your life where you are willing to start a serious relationship, it is better to know what this kind of relationship with someone actually entails. In simple words, a serious relationship is when you are completely committed to your partner, there are no second thoughts, and you two are honest with each other, trust each other and are on the same page about your future together.
There is nothing like the “right time” to be in a serious relationship; it does not depend on a milestone or turning point, or age. You need to be honest with yourself about what you want at this time of your life. If you want a serious relationship go for it, and if not, it is normal to do whatever you think you should be doing right now.
This article is all about a “serious relationship”, here I am going to share some signs, how you can get started and how you can know whether you are ready for a serious relationship or not. SO let’s get started:
Serious relationship meaning
What is a serious relationship meaning? Here is a clear definition to help you understand:
“A serious relationship exists between people who imagine a shared future. For many people, this means imagining that they and their partners will be together until they both die; it may also mean marriage, moving in together or planning big trips.”
Signs of a serious relationship
Relationships are complicated, and you keep wondering where your relationship is going most of the time. Those who are in the casual dating phase don’t worry about this whole relationship drama. They know where they are. But when you are not in the casual dating phase and have a proper relationship, you start wondering where is this going. You question yourself, is this getting serious, are we exclusive, should we move in, will this end up in marriage? These kinds of questions will arise in your mind.
So if you want to know whether your relationship is becoming serious or not, here are some signs of a serious relationship for you:
You are not that obsessive about your partner
according to a study made in 2016, those who fall in love think about their partner over 85% a day that sort of behaviour links substance abuse and romance. Daydreaming about your partner is like an addiction when the relationship is new. When this puppy love stage has passed, a relationship enters the serious stage. You do not feel anxious if your partner does not reply to your text; you do not call him/her 100 times a day. You understand that they are busy and will get back to you once they have time.
Reciprocity of gestures
Reciprocity is gestures in a relationship that is very important. Relationships are a two-way street; you two ask each other on dinner dates, send sweet texts at the end of the day, and all these efforts are made equally from both sides. If you feel like you are the only one being invested this way in your relationship, it means your relationship might not be as serious as you think.
You do not think about other potential partners.
When you are seeing someone with whom you can imagine your future, you will see that your interest in other potential partners is diminished. Tunnel vision is a good thing; moreover, when someone attractive says hello to you, you do not start sweating, which does not mean you are losing touch with attraction. It is just that you are done chasing after others and ready to make this relationship work.
You are familiar with each other’s friends and family circle.
When you are casually dating each other you, you do not try to know about their friends; it’s just you two enjoying the honeymoon phase. But when you get comfortable with each other and your relationship is stable, you get to know about their friends. They invite you to their friend’s gatherings. They will ask you to meet their parents. It is one of the signs of a serious relationship.
You can maturely handle conflicts and disagreements.
When two people are in a relationship, that does not mean they have to agree on everything. You two can have different opinions, and all you need is to respect what your partner thinks. No relationship is perfect, so there will be disagreements and conflicts, but that does not mean your relationship is not worth fighting for. If you are ready to make your relationship work, you will maturely handle these issues, and that is when you realize your relationship is getting serious.
Signs she wants a serious relationship with you.
You have been dating this girl for a while now, and you really like her; you want to take this dating thing to a committed relationship but are not sure whether she wants the same or not. Signs she wants a serious relationship with you can help you in understanding the situations. So let’s have a look at some of these signs:
She tries to spend more time with you.
She might spend certain days or time with her friends or alone doing her own thing. But now she is trying to spare more time to spend with you. She even sometimes cancels hangout invitations from friends just to be with you. She invites you to do something together in her alone time. It is really a big deal, especially if she is an introvert. The urge to spend quality time with someone frequently speaks volumes.
She asks about the future of this relationship.
It is one of the clear signs she wants a serious relationship with you. If she wants to get serious, she will ask you how you see the future of this relationship. If she is into marriage or kids, she will ask you to share your thoughts about marriage or kids. She will ask you how you feel about these things. She just wants to know that both of you are on the same page.
She is comfortable around you.
When a girl sees her future with you, she gets comfortable around you. She is not afraid to share with you her casual side. While dating, you two get dressed to impress, makeup is necessary, and your whole focus is on how you look. But when a relationship is getting serious, she feels like she can be around you in PJs without makeup. She wants to be real with you.
She will do something special for you.
To show you how much she loves you, she will do something special. It could be anything that she would never do for anyone else, or it could be a thing that anyone does but she would not normally do but she does it to please you, but she would never imagine to do that. All of this just to make you feel special. She wants you to know that she really cares about you and is thinking about a serious relationship.
She wants to meet your family.
In a relationship, it is a huge step. If she wants to meet your parents and siblings, it is a clear sign that she is looking for something serious. She wants to meet the people who know you long before her and love you. It is to join that inner circle of yours. Moreover, since she wants to be serious with you, she will also invite you to family gatherings.
Serious relationship in your 20’s
Some people are not good at casual dating. They just want to find the one and spend the rest of their life with that one person. Especially when you think this way in your 20’s people tell you that you are ridiculous. They will tell you to explore other options or ask you to just date and focus on your career. But you know better what you want and what makes you happy. So do not listen to people.
If you want a serious relationship in your 20’s go for it. Here are some perks of being in a serious relationship in your 20’s:
You already have what people are looking for
A lot of people want to have that one special person in their lives, and they are struggling with that; among them, some are you, and most are a little older people. But you do not have to worry about that; you already have that special person in your life.
You have support
Sometimes your partner may encourage you for things they want you to do, but most of the time, they are cheering you up to do things that are important to you. Your partner will support you if things are not going well, they will make you feel confident about yourself.
You know what is important to you.
People in their 20’s are mostly trying to figure out what they want in a partner, what kind of person will be right for them, but you do not have to worry about that. Being in a serious relationship in your 20’smeans your love life is sorted, you know what is important to you, and you have found happiness at a very early age.
That person is your home.
This is what I appreciate most in a committed relationship; you can call that person your home. At the end of a tiring day, you have someone to come home to. You can cuddle up next to them and forget all your worries. Even if you are not with them, they are just one phone call away.
They are your safe place.
This is the person you can share everything with, and you know they will not tell anyone. You can trust them with your secrets and believe that they will not judge you. It’s like having your own therapist.
Ghosting after a serious relationship
Ghosting after a serious relationship means cutting off any kind of communication with someone you have been in a serious relationship with. It happens when a person is really scared or feel overwhelmed with guilt that his/her partner will react strongly to this breakup thing. It means this individual ghosted and is not a strong person, so he/she does what a coward will do.
If you have to deal with ghosting after a serious relationship, here are some suggestions for you:
- If someone ghosted you, that does not mean it is your fault. You might wonder what you did wrong, but actually, they are immature, and you did nothing wrong.
- I know it feels terrible, especially when you were so much emotionally invested and were in a serious relationship, but they do not deserve you.
- If they are coward, you need to be brave, try to get over it.
- I know you feel angry, depressed, sad and all at the same time. Deal with your emotions, write a journal and take help from a professional therapist.SPEAK TO A RELATIONSHIP COACH NOW
- Do not rush into a new relationship; spend some time being single, and do what you like, work on yourself and when you are ready, get back out there.
Serious relationship questions
Thinking about a committed relationship is a big deal, as you are going to start a new chapter of your life. Most people these days are NOT ready to commit because they love their freedom and single life or casual dating thing also there can be a fear of getting hurt. But a serious relationship can bring stability in your life, and if both of you understand each other, ready to work on your relationship, it will not affect your freedom or career at all.
Still, that does not mean your life must revolve around this decision; if you are not ready for this, it is totally fine. But now the question arises, how to know if you are ready to be in a serious relationship? So here are some serious relationship questions that will help you figure out whether being in a serious relationship right now is the right choice for you or not.
Do you want to commit with another person?
Ask yourself this question if you are wondering are you ready to be in a serious relationship. You need to feel excited about the prospect of committing yourself to someone else. Simply we can say that if you are looking for both physical and emotional intimacy, serious relationship can be a good option for you. However, if you like meeting new people love dating different people with no string attached, maybe you should not think about getting into a serious relationship.
Do you feel like you are done making lame excuses?
People usually avoid being in a serious relationship because they believe that they do not have enough time or energy to spend in such a relationship. For example, people who have a busy professional life with tight work schedules try not to be in a serious relationship because they think that they are unable to give the right amount of attention a partner needs. However, when a person is really ready for a serious relationship, they will not make these kinds of excuses and will try to make time for the person in their life. In fact, the individual will try to strategize things in a way that work responsibilities and other commitments don’t get in the way of having a meaningful strong connection with someone. In the end, it is all about priorities.
Do you know what you are looking for in a partner?
When you are truly interested in a serious relationship, you are done with the casual dating thing and know what you want to from a partner or relationship. You should know what qualities and attributes you appreciate in a partner. More specifically, you should know what would be the characteristics of your potential partner. For instance, IS it necessary for your partner to share your religion, agrees with your political opinions, has family values etc. etc.? Once you are sure about what you really value in a person as your partner, you start laying the groundwork to find a relationship of value in all that you respect.
Are you thinking about getting into a serious relationship because of societal pressure?
This is one of the most important serious relationship questions to ask yourself. When you actually are ready to be in a serious relationship, it is the thing you really want. In fact, it is one of the most life-changing decisions you will make for your own sake. But unfortunately, society has set some unrealistic standards for us, and some of us feel pressured to follow these. Sometimes your parents, friends or even your partner may force you to make this kind of commitment. Keep in mind if you really do not feel interested to do so, never do this, even if someone pressures you as you are setting yourself up for failure.
Are you ready to take the risk?
You may not think of it that way but actually pursuing a committed relationship comes with risk. Starting a serious relationship means you are opening up about yourself to someone completely, you are going to be emotionally vulnerable to them, and most importantly, you are putting your heart on the line. Without taking this huge leap of faith, you will never be able to know what is the meaning of true closeness; you will never be able to enjoy the intimacy that comes with a serious relationship. So if you are really ready to be in a serious relationship, you will be willing to take this risk and enjoy a meaningful and rewarding connection.
Serious relationship quotes
Here are some serious relationship quotes to inspire you and help you understand what you should do if you are thinking about being in a serious relationship:
- I’ve never been married, and I’ve never been divorced. But I have had some very serious relationships. I was engaged twice. The way that those relationships ended was very, very heartbreaking. – Thomas Haden Church
- Being grown up and in a serious relationship, I’ve learned so much. I’m happier than I’ve ever been. – Paris Hilton
- There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage. – Martin Luther
- All I’m telling you to do is to be smart about it. Know that if this man isn’t looking for a serious relationship, you’re not going to change his mind just because you two are going on dates and being intimate. You could be the perfect woman on the Lord’s green earth-you’re capable of interesting conversation, you cook a mean breakfast, you hand out backrubs like sandwiches, you’re independent (which means, to him, that you’re not going to be in his pockets)-but if he’s not ready for a serious relationship, he going to treat you like sports fish. – Steve Harvey
- You can’t love somebody into a state of mental health. A lot of people get into serious relationships thinking they’re going to heal someone with their love and attention, but it doesn’t usually work out that way. – Harold Ramis
- A real litmus test for me is how people treat someone who is waiting on them. That’s a dealbreaker for me. If I were on the verge of getting into a serious relationship and I saw that person be mean to a waiter… I’m out. – Steven Soderbergh
- I’ve always been in serious relationships. I meet someone and date him for a long period. I don’t sit there thinking, like, ‘I wonder if I can seduce that guy.’ I have other things in my mind. – Gisele Bundchen
- Unless you’re really going to have a serious relationship, don’t bring your kids into it. Don’t show your child that people come and go. – Kelly Cutrone
- A big book is like a serious relationship; it requires a commitment. Not only that but there’s no guarantee that you will enjoy it or that it will have a happy ending. Kind of like going out with a girl, having to spend time every day with her – with absolutely no guarantee of nailing her in the end. No thanks. – Mick Foley
- I think the way you can tell if a guy and girl are in a serious relationship is whether or not they have black and white pictures of themselves together. That’s the real test. Because it takes effort to get nice black and white photos. If you’ve gone that far, there’s no turning back. – Aaron Karo
- I got into my first serious relationship with a man when I was twenty-three. I had, before that, sort of a typical, sad history of relatively promiscuous sexual encounters with men I didn’t know because I felt that if I were involved with people, I did know, other people would know that I was gay, and it was something that I needed to keep so secret.- Andrew Solomon
- “In my old age, I was, at last, being permitted to make the discovery that lovemaking gets better and better with time if it’s with someone you care for.”― Patricia Nell Warren, The Front Runner.
Some people like casual dating, while some are looking for a serious relationship. But do not let anyone tell you what you should do. If you are looking for a serious relationship, make everything clear with your date so that you might not waste their time and also so they don’t waste yours.
So this was all about a serious relationship; Hope you enjoyed this if you need advice click below to to a relationship coach